A former Sarnia Sting player is part of a class action lawsuit launched against the Canadian Hockey League alleging physical and sexual abuse of players.
Daniel Carcillo, who played three seasons with the Sting, filed a statement of claim June 19 with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, naming the CHL, it’s three member leagues, and all 60 teams as defendants.
Carcillo alleges he and other rookies experienced extensive abuse during the 2002-03 season in Sarnia. Garrett Taylor, who played in the Western Hockey League from 2008-10, is also listed as a plaintiff.
“This case is on behalf of underage minors who suffered violent hazing, physical and sexual assault and psychological trauma while playing major junior hockey,” Carcillo said in a statement. “I was one of those kids when I played in the OHL. I know there are many more just like me.”
Carcillo said in 2018 he and other rookies were beaten with a goalie stick and forced into a bus bathroom stall naked while senior players spat at them through vents.
Other former Sting players have backed Carcillo’s allegations and shared their own detailed stories of abuse.
Asked for comment, Sting marketing director Jake Bourrie issued the following statement last week: “As it is a legal matter the Sarnia Sting cannot comment.”
In 2018, former club president Bill Abercrombie said the club has “zero tolerance” for hazing and bullying and has programs in place to ensure all players are treated professionally.