Sign up for our free weekday bulletin.

Week of June 16

Published on

U.S. visitors deserved better exchange rate

Sir: We recently had six visitors stay with us in Sarnia, four of them from Ohio and two from Britain who were holidaying in the U.S.

We, of course, wanted to show them around and had an excellent weekend to do so on First Friday and Art Walk weekend.

I was very disappointed, though, when several of the businesses we visited wouldn’t give our visitors any exchange rate at all on their U.S. money. The venues included two restaurants, a bar and a local store.

Perhaps there is a valid reason for this that I’m not aware of, as I don’t operate a business. But it doesn’t seem right.

I know that when people from Sarnia go to Port Huron, myself included, we have come to expect that U.S. businesses will usually give a favourable rate on Canadian funds.

A lot of bars and restaurants were actually taking Canadian money at par when the difference in our currencies weren’t as high as they are now. This to me makes good business sense.

I hope our experience was the exception to the rule and not the norm for businesses in the Sarnia area.

Both the Casino and Duty Free Shop gave an excellent exchange rate. Considering we want to promote tourism in this area, and they are doing their part, shouldn’t everyone be?

Maybe the Chamber of Commerce should do a survey and address the issue, if necessary.

Gerald MacKinnon



Supervised access program explained

Sir: Thank you for the article, “A safe place to meet for kids of warring parents” printed on June 6, 2016.

In reading the article, I must clarify the following items. All Supervised Access Programs across Ontario accept third-party referrals, but court orders are always preferred. Supervised Access Program Lambton has developed a Third-Party Referral form that is used by the referring agency to determine, after consultation with the parents, the type of access required and the frequency of the access. Sarnia is the only site that uses this specific form.

Also, in my quote, “You cannot knowingly keep children from seeing the non-residential parent,” I must clarify that there may certainly be extenuating circumstances when it may be in the best interest of the child to not have contact with the non-residential parent, such as in cases of abuse or threat of abduction.

It is always best to seek legal counsel when a separation occurs to determine what is in the best interest of each party.

Most sincerely,

Lorrie Werden

Coordinator, Supervised Access Program Lambton


More like this