Sign up for our free weekday bulletin.

Three homes damaged by fire first week of the year

Published on

Sarnia Fire and Rescue is urging residents to be more careful when cooking or smoking following three separate house fires the first week of 2019.

A George Street basement fire on New Year’s Day was followed by a kitchen fire Jan. 5 on Devine St.

The next day another fire erupted in a recycling bin on Devine Street, likely caused by the careless discarding of smoking materials, the department said.

No one was injured but each of the homes was damaged.

“Our department urges the public to not leave their cooking unattended and to properly discard smoking materials,” said fire prevention officer Roel Bus.

Sarnia Police said two of the homes were subsequently broken into and TVs, tools and electronics taken.

Anyone with information is asked to call 519-344-8861, ext. 0, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.


More like this