Sign up for our free weekday bulletin.

Student saves occupants from gas leak poisoning

Published on

Journal Staff

A Lambton College student helped save the lives of 10 people from a hazardous carbon monoxide leak at a Wellington Street apartment last week, Sarnia’s fire officer prevention says.

Jacalyn Pendleton quickly called 911 when she noticed a strange smell in the building. Arriving firefighters detected carbon monoxide levels of 400 parts per million, a level high enough to kill in hours, said Douglas McCurdy.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas but difficult for people to detect

The fire service is calling Pendleton a hero for her quick thinking, he said.

The gas leak was coming from a malfunctioning water heater in the service room.

Sarnia Fire Rescue charged the owner of the building with two counts of failing to install carbon monoxide detectors where required, and single counts of failing to maintain CO and smoke detectors.

Sarnia Fire Rescue is reminding the public that working carbon monoxide and smoke alarms are legally required in all homes and apartments.

 

More like this