Sign up for our free weekday bulletin.

Kings bend the knee to Legionnaires

Published on

Jon Maillet
For the Journal

Sarnia would score once in the first, twice in the second and three more in the third to pick up a second straight win in Komoka Saturday night.

Jack Martin made his second consecutive start, making 37 saves in the win, while Ryan Richardson led the way with a goal and two assists. 

The Legionnaires would start the game playing catch up, as Komoka would get on the board early with a shorthanded goal. Jack Jarvis notched his seventh of the year to put Komoka ahead 1-0 just 1:32 into the game. 

Two minutes later, Austin Harper would answer back with his sixth of the season, Anthony Tudino and Richardson each picking up assists on the tying goal. 

The game would remain tied until the 7:47 mark of the second, when Colin Langstaff would set up Lucas Durham for Durham’s fourth goal this season. Ethan Waddick had the other assist on the goal that put Sarnia up 2-1. 

Sarnia would later cash in on a powerplay opportunity midway through the period as Ryan Richardson scored his seventh. Austin Harper and Jace McGrail had the assists, and the Legionnaires would take a 3-1 lead into the final period. 

Komoka would get another early period goal, this time Justin Skirten picking up his fourth of the season, as the Kings would cut the Sarnia lead to 3-2 with the powerplay goal just 2:26 into the third. 

Sarnia would restore the two goal lead a little over two minutes later when Cameron Graham scored his 10th of the year. Owen Brown had the lone assist, and the Legionnaires went up 4-2. 

The Kings would get a penalty shot midway through the final frame, Zach Houben would make no mistake, beating goaltender Jack Martin. Houben’s second of the season pulled the Kings to within a goal, cutting the Sarnia lead to 4-3. 

From there it was all Sarnia, Jimmy Monks would score his fourth, from Richardson and Graham at 13:06 of the third, while Ty Moffat’s seventh of the season came two and half minutes later to extend the Legionnaires lead to 6-3. Waddick and Monks assisted Moffat’s goal, which came on the powerplay. 

Sarnia finished the game with two powerplay goals on five chances, while the penalty kill allowed just one goal on four chances. Shots were 45-40 in favour of the Legionnaires. 

Sarnia now heads to Chatham for a date with the Maroons, Legionnaires look to pick up their first win this season against Chatham, and extend their win streak to three games. 

Puck drops at 7pm at the Chatham Memorial Arena. 


More like this