The annual Captain Kidd Day festivities are set to kickoff in Corunna.
“The weather is looking fantastic and we are looking forward to everybody being here,” said organizer Geoff Dale, joined by a dedicated committee of about a dozen volunteers who work year-round to plan the event. “We’re already looking ahead to 2024, looking at what we can add, and what we can do better.”
Held every Civic holiday weekend, the longstanding tradition invites the community to the Corunna Athletic Park for a full slate of activities including talent shows, contests, a kids’ zone, outdoor movie, sports tournaments and more.
The event, celebrating its 38th year, also boasts a parade, fireworks, live music, car show and of course, Captain Kidd’s arrival at Ferry Dock Hill, Friday evening.
Proceeds from the event to to local charity and youth organizations.
“I think we gave around 15 donations last year,” Dale said, pointing to groups like Mooretown Minor Hockey, Sarnia-Lambton Rebound, St. Clair Child & Youth Services and others. “We’re always looking to expand ways to give back to the community.”
Here’s a breakdown of what’s happening:
- 6 p.m. – Captain Kidd arrival at Ferry Dock Hill
- 6 p.m. – Two pitch tournament
- 6:30 p.m. – Best dressed pirate contest
- 7:30 p.m. – ‘Corunna’s Got Talent’
- 8 p.m. – Gates open for live music (19+), feat. Noah Leonard, Shelly Rastin and Brothers Wilde
- 8 a.m. – Beach volleyball tournament
- 9 a.m. – ball hockey
- 11 a.m. – Parade
- 12 noon – Kids Zone opens (until 5 p.m.)
- 2 p.m. – Rebound Rocks
- 3 p.m. – Bad Men Association
- 8 p.m. – Gates open for live music (19+), feat. A Mighty Fine Mess; Big Shiny Toons; Dave Russell and the Precious Stones
- 9 a.m. – Sarnia Street Cruisers Car Show
- 9 a.m. – Vendor sale
- 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. – Hoop You Variety Show (multiple shows)
- 2 p.m. Saidat (Award winning children’s entertainer, presented by TSL)
- 3 p.m. Little Ray’s Reptiles
- 8 p.m. – Gates open for live music (19+), feat. Full Disclosure
- 10 p.m. – Fireworks
- 10:20 p.m. – ‘Blame it all on my roots’ – Garth Brooks & Shania Twain tribute