The original “Bluenose” docked near the foot of Sarnia’s Ferry Dock Hill on June 4, 1933.
Launched 100 years ago on March 26, 1921 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, the Bluenose was built to fish cod on the Grand Banks but also designed for speed because the first boat back to the dock got the most money for its fish.
The famed schooner won her first race that October and for the next 18 years the “Queen of the North Atlantic” won every race entered.
Behind the Bluenose is the former Northern Navigation pavilion, just south of Cromwell Street, where passengers once waited for cruise ships and dances were held.
This photo is courtesy of Sarnia resident Marion Round.