On parade

This image from the 1940s shows Christina Street at the intersection of George Street, looking north. The building in the upper right corner is the old Sarnia Armoury, on land now occupied by City Hall, and a white War Surplus Store, about where the fountain now stands. On this side of George is the Town Coffee Shop, site today of Bad Dog Bar and Grill, and the air conditioned Park Theatre, now home to Stones ‘N Bones Museum. The movie playbill narrows the date. ‘Straight Place & Show’ is from 1938 and Berlin Correspondent, a Nazi thriller, premiered in 1942. It’s not clear what the parade is all about. Flag bearers carrying Canada’s Union Jack of Canada and the U.S. Stars and Stripes lead a fife and drum corps, two men carrying a wreath, followed by a procession of women in matching white dresses and hats. Pauline Wetering photo